Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Reheating Tip for Leftover Pizza

I went to Zumba last night for the first time in about a month.  Holy cow!  I was tired, hot and sweaty by the time I got home.  Not exactly in the mood for cooking either.  A quick glance in the fridge produced some options, but pizza sounded the best.  Here's my dilemma-- I kinda hate leftover pizza.  If you microwave it, the crust is soft and the cheese and toppings lose flavor.  If you stick it back in the oven, the crust burns by the time the toppings are nice and hot.  There are two methods I use for reheating pizza:  the grill method that I discovered last night and the skillet method.

Grill Method for Reheating Pizza
Step 1:  Place Pizza stone on a cool grill (I got mine at World Market-- it's about 12" in diameter and fits nicely on my little webber grill). 

Step 2:  Light grill and turn up heat to medium high.  Let preheat for 15 minutes or so.  I used this time to water my patio garden out back, cursing the black beetle and earwig I found on my zucchini plant. 


Step 3:  Place pizza on the stone.  I put mine on a little piece of aluminum foil as leftover pizza cheese tends to ooze and I don't like cleaning oozed cheese off my stone. 

Step 4:  Close the lid and let cook for 7 minutes or so.  The cheese should be melted and the crust crispy.  Remove carefully from the stone and enjoy!


Skillet Method for Reheating Pizza
Step 1:  Place a 12" or larger skillet with a lid on the stove.  Do not preheat.

Step 2:  Put 1-2 sliced of pizza into the skillet and place the lid on top.  Heat over medium low heat for 7 to 10 minutes, or until pizza cheese is melted and crust is crispy but not burnt.

If reheating more pizza, turn the heat to low to heat additional slices.


What are you doing to keep the heat out of the kitchen this summer?

No comments: