Friday, July 22, 2011

Grilled French Dip

I feel very lucky to live in a rental with air conditioning. The only problem with said A/C is that it doesn't seem to cool the kitchen.  Mental note: get box fan for kitchen.  For some reason, the A/C seems to work better in the front of the rental where the living room is.  That means that the bedroom and kitchen are warmer.  I can deal with it, but I try to keep the heat out of the kitchen during the hot days of summer. 

This is something that is easy and quick to prepare-- a French Dip sandwich.  One of my favorites!  The grill added a nice smokiness.  So yummy!



So, the backyard was shady.  Very nice to cook in but not so nice to take photos in.  Oh well.  You'll get the idea. 

Grilled French Dip
French Style Baguette or hoagie (I got the bake-at-home kind)
Butter or Olive Oil
Roast Beef
Swiss Cheese (thinly sliced)
Au Jus (I like Johnny's because I can make as much as I want!)

1.  Preheat grill over medium heat.  Spit bread in half and brush all sides with olive oil or butter.  Place bread on grill and let cook (grill lid closed) for 2-3 minutes, cut side down, until toasted.

2.  Flip bread over and put cheese on it.  Place thinly sliced beef on the grill and close the lid.  After one minute, flip the beef.


3.  Remove when cheese is melted.  Assemble sandwich and serve with Au Jus.  I just made 1/2 cup in the microwave while the bread was cooking.

See that green stuff poking out from the far end of the plate?  It came from my garden!!  :)

Hope you enjoyed this post.  What do you do to beat the heat?

No comments: