Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Mexican Hot Sauce

There is a little Mexican Restaurant in Downtown Idaho Falls that has been there FOREVER.  It used to be called 'MiCasa's' but changed to 'Plum Loco' a while ago.  This restaurant is great!  Everything there is good.  One thing that is unique is their hot sauce.  Each table gets the customary basket full of chips, but instead of the traditional salsa, a squeeze bottle full of spicy tangy hot sauce is served.  This stuff is addicting.  Don't say I didn't warn you!  A friend of mine gave me the recipe for the spice mix and I altered it to fit my taste.  For a less spicy sauce, reduce the amount of crushed red pepper flakes.  Serve over just about any Mexican food-- I like mine best on Crunchy Tacos or chips.

Thanks for the spice mix recipe, Leslie!


Mexican Hot Sauce
Spice Mix:
     3/4 cup chili powder
     3/4 cup cumin
     1/4 cup oregano
     2 Tbsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes (more or less to taste)
     3/8 cup salt
     3/4 tsp garlic salt
-Mix ingredients together to blend well.  I store mine in a plastic baggie.

Hot Sauce:
     2 tsp Spice Mix
     8 oz. can tomato sauce
     1-2 Tbsp white vinegar
-Mix well until blended.  I store mine in a squeeze bottle in the fridge.  Should keep for a couple of weeks (if it lasts that long).



And in other news-- how is your garden growing this year?  Mine is doing quite well.  I've been out of town lately and a friend has been watering my garden every day.  Out front, the parsley is about 6 inches high, the tomatoes are beginning flower, the lettuce is going gangbusters (its on the taco), and the carrots are about 8 inches high.  Out back is another story....


My tomato plants are LOADED with tomatoes.


Zucchini is also quite happy.


And this little beauty should be ready to eat tonight.  Wahoo!!

Hope you have a great week!  Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: