Monday, July 18, 2011

Black and Blue Cobbler

Summer is here and you know what that means-- Blackberries!  I love blackberries in cobblers, dessert sauces and jams, but I'm not a huge fan of eating them raw.  Not sure why.  When Ty and I lived in Pullman, WA, I used to fill up my lunch bucket on my way home from school.  Huge bushes grew wild there.  I turned one batch into jam using a bit of grape juice. 

This weekend, we got a pack of big juicy blackberries in our Bountiful Basket.  I also had some blueberries that needed to get used up, so I made Black and Blue Cobbler this morning for breakfast.  Everyone at work loved it!  This recipe is super simple and can be made using any combination of fresh or frozen berries.  I'm sure stone fruits like plums, nectarines and peaches would work as well. 

I based my recipe on one from myrecipes.com, but changed it up a bit.  I made my cobbler a bit more healthy by making my own self-rising flour with half whole wheat flour.  Hope you enjoy!



Black and Blue Cobbler
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
1 cup sugar
1 cup milk
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted and cooled to room temp.
2-1/2 cups fresh or frozen berries (I used 1 cup blackberries and 1-1/2 cups blueberries)
1/4 cup sugar

1.  Preheat oven to 350°F.  Lightly grease a 9" x 12" pan (mine is metal).

2.  Whisk together flours, salt, baking powder and sugar.  Whisk in milk until just combined.  Slowly whisk in the melted butter.  Pour evenly into prepared pan.  The batter will be loose like pancake batter.

3.  Sprinkle fruit over the top of the batter, then sprinkle with sugar.

4.  Bake at 350°F for approximately an hour, or until the top is golden and the fruit is bubbly.  The batter will rise over the top of the fruit creating a luscious berry layer. 

5.  Cool about 10 minutes, then serve warm.  Enjoy!

No comments: