Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Do the Amish buy vanilla pudding? (Potstickers Recipe)

I recently got a starter from a friend for 'Amish Friendship Bread'. It makes a dense, moist bread that is more like a cake. It was very easy to manage and I reduced the fat by using skim milk and replacing half of the vegetable oil with applesauce. For several variations, go to http://www.armchair.com/recipe/amish/amshvar2.html . They all sound good! However, looking at the recipe made me wonder whether or not the Amish would buy instant vanilla pudding. After reading bit on the internet, I have concluded that those in an Old Order Amish community would not buy instant vanilla pudding, but those in the Beachy or New Order Amish communities might. Very interesting!

Things are also coming along for my parents and their new house. The painting got done yesterday and the mantle is up above the fireplace. Floors and cabinets are next. I'll take some pictures and post them once everything is done. Ralfie loves running through the house. The other day, he found a piece of sanding paper and was so proud of himself. He didn't try to chew on it very long. Must not have liked the texture.

Happy belated Chinese New Year! I arranged for us to order in Chinese food at work for lunch and made some yummy Potstickers I found at Food Network. The filling consisted of 2c. nappa cabbage (wilted with 1 1/2t. salt and drained), 1/2lb. ground pork, 2T. ginger, 1 1/2T. garlic, 2T. soy sauce (reduced sodium), 3T. toasted sesame oil and 1 egg. I cheated and bought wrappers at the grocery store. Once the dumplings were filled and sealed, I cooked a pan full in a skillet over medium high heat with 1-2T. vegetable oil (depending on pan size). After 3 minutes, I added 1c. water and clamped on the lid. I steamed the dumplings for 7 minutes. They came out perfect! I also made a dipping sauce using 1/3c. soy sauce (low sodium), 1/3c. Rice vinegar, 1t. toasted sesame oil, 1 scallion sliced thin, and 1T. Sambal (garlic chile paste).

I have to go out of town tomorrow, so there won't be any posts for a few days. Enjoy your week!

No comments: