Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Cumin Dusted Chicken with Guac Sauce



Last night we had a very good dinner-- Cumin Dusted Chicken with Guacamole Sauce that I adapted from Cooking Light. First, I made the guacamole sauce by mashing one ripe avacado with 1 finely chopped scallion, 1/4c. chopped parsley, 1/4c. light sour cream, 2T. fresh lime juice, 1/4t. lite salt, 1/8t. freshly toasted and ground cumin, and 1/8t. cayenne pepper.
Next, I preheated the oven to 400*F and made a spice rub for the chicken using 1T. brown sugar substitute, 1t. freshly toasted and ground cumin, 1/2t. lite salt and 1/2t. freshly ground black pepper. I pounded the chicken to an even thickness and sprinkled the spice rub on top.
I preheated a skillet over medium heat and sprayed it with olive oil spray before adding the chicken. I cooked the chicken for 3 minutes on each side, then put it in the hot oven for 7 minutes. I served it with salad and raw sugar snap peas (not pictured). It was very good! I have lots of leftover guacamole sauce that will be great on fish as well. We're having flank steak with mushrooms tonight, so I'll have to take the guac to work with me tomorrow.
I made a fabulous soup for lunch today-- Spinach and Sausage Soup (also adapted from Cooking Light). I started by browning 10 oz. of sweet italian turkey sausage in a large saucepan with olive oil spray. Next, I added one onion (chopped) and 2t. minced garlic. I cooked this for 3-5 minutes, and added 1t. dried oregano, 1/2c. water, 1 can white beans (drained and rinsed), 1 can low sodium chicken broth, and 1 (14.5 oz) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes. I let it simmer for about 10 minutes, then I removed it from the heat and added 2c. spinach and 1T. chopped fresh basil. I served it in a small bowl with a bit of grated parmesan on top.
The rock on the fireplace in the new house is done and it looks beautiful. Not long now!

No comments: