Garlic Lemon Chicken with Sauteed Mushrooms
1/2 pound mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
1 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 lb. chicken breasts, trimmed and sliced in half horizontally to create two thin cutlets
1/4 cup all purpose flour
2 Tbsp of your favorite salt-free seasoning**(I used a Garlic Lemon blend I had on hand)
1/2 tsp salt (if using salt-free seasoning)**
1 cup chicken stock
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1. Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until tender and lightly browned- about 7 minutes. Remove from pan and keep warm.
2. Place flour and seasoning in a bowl and mix well. Reserve 1 Tbsp of the mixture for later. Place half of the flour mixture with half of the chicken cutlets in a large ziptop bag and shake until the meat is evenly coated.
3. Pour 1 Tbsp of oil into the pan and swirl around to coat the bottom. Add the chicken cutlets in a single layer and cook for 3 to 4 minutes per side. They should be golden. Remove from the pan and keep warm. Repeat with the remaining chicken- coat with flour and cook in oil.
4. Mix the reserved 1 Tbsp of flour and seasoning blend with the broth and lemon juice. Pour into the saute ban and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly. It should become slightly thickened.
5. To serve, place a couple of cutlets on the plate, top with mushrooms, and spoon some sauce over the top. Yum!
Chicken Piccata variation:
Add 1 to 2 tbsp of dry white wine to broth and lemon juice. Once thickened, add 1 tbsp chopped capers and a few crushed olives (green or katamala would work well). Spoon over chicken breasts and top with chopped fresh tomatoes, parsley and a sprinkle of parmesan.
**If you do not have salt free seasoning on hand, then use half the amount of seasoning. The chicken broth has a lot of salt in it.