Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Artichokes with Parmesan Garlic Butter

One of the things we got last weekend in the Bountiful Basket was artichokes.  I love artichoke hearts!  I love them in pasta, on pizza, in salads, on sandwiches...but I have to admit.  I was intimidated by this alien looking vegetable.  I've never made them at home.  Well, time to change that!

I know most people dip their artichokes in melted butter or mayo, but I decided to kick things up a bit by making a garlic-Parmesan butter dip for my artichokes.  And let me tell you-- this stuff was soooooo gooooood!!!  I think I'll serve it over asparagus or green beans next.  YUM!

Some websites said to clip the tops off of all the leaves to remove thorns.  Well, I must have had a different variety of artichoke.  No thorns here!  Here's how I steamed Mr.  Artichoke.

Steamed Artichokes with Garlic Parmesan Butter
1 artichoke
1/2 lemon
1 tsp Parmesan cheese
3 Tbsp butter, melted
 2 cloves garlic, minced, divided


1.  Cut Artichoke into quarters.  Rub each cut side with the cut side of the 1/2 lemon.  Slice lemon.  Place lemon and 1 minced garlic clove in the bottom of a medium pot.  Fill pot with about 3/4" water.  Place steamer basket in the pot and put the cut up artichoke in the basket.  Cover, bring to a boil, and reduce to a simmer.  Simmer/ steam for about 30 minutes.

2.  Remove artichoke from pot.  Use a spoon to scoop out the fuzzy choke.

3.  Place the butter and Parmesan in a microwave safe bowl.  Microwave for 20 to 30 seconds, or until butter is melted.  Stir in the garlic.*


4.  Serve melted butter with artichokes.  Take each leaf, dip in the butter, and scrape out the 'meat' with your teeth.  Don't forget to eat the heart-- its the best part!


*Note:  I learned the hard way NOT to add the garlic before microwaving.  It will turn brown and burn before the butter is completely melted.

No comments: